The HR Metrics tools Talent Mobility and Diversity Representation both present results on Turnover Rate, New Hire Rate, Promotion Rate and Lateral Transfer rates. Talent Mobility presents data by organization, displaying what percentage of those different rates exist in organizations at the P25, P50, P75 levels. These same rates are displayed in the Diversity Representation tool, but a gender overlay is added. But are these tools both displaying the same information?
The answer is YES.
The below is a screenshot when the “Turnover” mobility metric is selected in Talent Mobility:
The data is telling us that the median turnover rate for a company that submitted data to the RGCD is 20%
In the Diversity Representation Tool, when we scroll to the bottom and select “Turnover” from the Mobility Metric drop down, the tool displays this:
The graphs are displaying a 20% turnover rate for 978 organizations that have Male employees and a 20% turnover rate for 968 organizations that have Female employees.
In response, some users have asked, “Shouldn’t that number be 10% for Males and 10% for Females if the overall rate is 20%?
Although that might seem right at first glance, it is not. Here’s why:
Let’s say a company has 1000 employees, each made up of 500 men and 500 women. If the turnover rate is 20%, then:
500 men x 20% Turnover = 100 male employees turned over
500 women x 20% Turnover = 100 women employees turned over
If the overall rate is 20% then:
1000 employees x 20% Turnover = 200 employees turned over
In each case, the total turnover numbers are the same: 200 employees.
So yes, both tools are displaying the same results, just in a different way.